“What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.”
— The Dhammapada
A School of Philosophy
We offer a comprehensive program of studies which begins with the first course series: Explore Wisdom of East and West. Our curriculum gives students a strong foundation of traditional knowledge which, like classical humanism, brings together sciences, arts, religions and philosophies in a comparative way and which reveals the laws governing nature and the human being.
Weekly Philosophical Gathering: Wisdom of East and West
Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m.
starting Wednesday, June 19, 2019
3706 Hillsboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37215
In this series of weekly meetings we explore the applied aspect of philosophy in daily living through the world wisdom of East and West.
The word “philosophy” from Ancient Greek translates as “love of wisdom,” and while the word is associated with knowledge, philosophy is so much more than that. For many world cultures, philosophy was searching for beauty in art, truth in science, altruism in religion, building a sense of community, a way of life, and improving yourself a little bit each day.
Join us for selected topics of discussion each week:
– What is a Human Being? Are the invisible parts real? Love, emotions, energy, soul
– Ancient India and the Bhagavad Gita – The great Epic story that teaches so much about overcoming fear and that has inspired great current day epic hero movies
– Wisdom of Tibet – Awakening inner harmony and compassion
– Life and Teachings of Buddha – The Dhammapada and Noble Eightfold Path
– Aristotle – On Virtue and Happiness
– Plotinus and Immanuel Kant – Qualities of the Soul and the Universe
– Ancient Greece, Socrates, Plato’s Republic and the Myth of the Cavern – Learn about the journey of the soul and its path to freedom
– Introduction to Stoic Philosophy – Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, the Joy of Daily Living
– Myth, History and Time